Friday, December 09, 2005

Narnia Opens Tonight

Cathy Seipp (whose work I always enjoy reading) responds to various nattering nabobs of negativism in an excellent NRO piece. Prior to reading her response, I actually had no idea that there were so many brainless twits with nothing better to do than critique the movie and the author of the books that led to it. To try and put Rowling and Pullman in a class with C.S.Lewis is itself an engagement in dystopic fantasy. Cathy runs their arguments through the logic blender with great style.

3 comments:

chuck said...

Terrye,

...do these people have to drag politcs into everything.

It's not politics, Terrye, it's religion. Christianity is regarded as an ugly and outmoded belief by the left. In comparison, I suspect Druidism and Wicca are regarded as progressive. Heck, even fascism seems to be regarded as progressive these days.

Anonymous said...

Cathy Seipp's article is well worth reading. I find almost her arguments compelling, with the exception of her final comment, ...I can't imagine reading anything in either [the Harry Potter series or the Dark Materials series] more than once.

I'm only a physicist, and I can't speak for Pullman's writings, but I have read the Harry Potter series at least a half-dozen times, finding an impressive connectivity and depth in the novels to date. J.K. Rowling's style is different that C.S. Lewis' style, and she's not writing the same type of literature, but like his, her books are not merely children's literature.

Rick Ballard said...

Crosstalk,

I agree with your comment concerting Rawlins. I don't know that I would reread the Potter books but she exhibited a good deal of skill in her work. That said, I don't put her in a class with Lewis regarding his whole body of work.